The police have confirmed 24 worshippers were killed in a twin-explosion on Tuesday at a mosque in Mubi, Adamawa State, North-east Nigeria.
The blasts occurred while worshippers were holding the Zuhr (afternoon) prayer.
The police spokesperson in the state, Othman Abubakar, a superintendent of police, said the first of the blasts occurred at about 1:00 p.m.
‘’While people were evacuating the victims of the first blast, another explosion occurred,” he told PREMIUM TIMES.
‘’As I am talking to you now, 24 persons are confirmed dead. The scene has been cordoned-off by the Anti-bomb squad and other security personnel,’’ Mr Abubakar said.
Eyewitnesses had earlier reported that ‘’many lives were lost and several persons injured.’’
The explosion was allegedly triggered by a teenage boy wearing a suicide vest.
Garba Habu, a local resident, said he counted over eight corpses at the scene.
‘’A boy of about 18-19 -years wearing a suicide vest was said to have entered the mosque along with other worshippers. Immediately after the prayers, he detonated the bomb,” he said.




